I have found ‘other’ uses for various items that I may not have had I never traveled. Some from my own experiences and some from other’s experiences (yes!! that helps) – and together they have changed the way I look at things.
Shawl / Sarong: Those pretty, flowery, cottony piece of cloth are miraculous.
1. I have used it as a make shift swim suit while at Erawan Waterfalls in Thailand.
2. Used it as a pillow in long distance buses/trains
3. Wrapped myself up in it to keep warm
4. Used it as a cover to shield myself when changing clothes, sometimes in public
5. Used it as a headscarf – to cover up when entering temples or other religious sites
6. Spread it on the floor/benches when wanting to lie down in public areas like airports or park benches.
That’s what I am talking about – when the sarong became my swim wear!!!
- Tie up your hair
- Secure things like socks, underwear and clothes rolled up into tubes to prevent crushing and space saving
- Keep important papers/passports together
Duct tape/silver tape
- Secure everything, from self-untying shoe laces to tear in mosquito nets
- Used as plaster when short of band aids
- Stick rips in the backpacks
- Fix wobbly tripods or just about anything.
Swiss knife:For just about everything!
Headlights: Works better than a torch and leaves your arm free.